Directs all operations, maintenance, cleanliness, and product quality control for grain elevator along with sales of seed and feed. Supervises all full and part time employees to accomplish these responsibilities. Assists the customers with fertilizer and chemical inquiries, orders, and complaints. Completes special projects as assigned by area manager.
- Proven management skills.
- Current operational knowledge of all machinery in elevator. Ability to make minor repairs and conduct scheduled maintenance on all equipment.
- Good working knowledge of the properties of corn, wheat, beans, milo, and sunflowers.
- Good working knowledge of seed, feed, chemical and fertilizer products.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Computer and data entry skills.
- Ability to react to change productively and handle other essential tasks as assigned.
- Frequently lift or move 50 pounds and occasionally lift or move 100 pounds.
- Be able to obtain and retain a class 7B grain fumigation license.
- Obtain and retain a class A CDL with Haz Mat endorsement
- Strive to exceed customer expectations at each transaction.
- Ability to read, interpret, and apply common scientific, technical, and legal journals.
- Ability to respond cordially to inquiries or complaints of customers, co-workers, or regulatory agencies.
- Ability to write and log information, produce reports, and verbally communicate information to area manager.
Personal Protective equipment
Eye protection is required in restricted areas. Appropriate personal protective equipment (i.e. goggles, gloves, long sleeve shirt, and/or face mask) required when handling chemicals.
Required Education and/or Experience
A bachelor’s degree in agronomy or a related agricultural field or five years of experience in the grain business and the agronomy business.
- Receive and ship grain in the most efficient manner possible using available staff.
- Maintain the grain in the elevator to the highest standard of quality possible. Improve and adjust procedures to accomplish this goal.
- Blend all grains as necessary when shipping out to achieve maximum grade and price for the cooperative and our customers.
- Provide grain drying services (if available) by grading and testing grain before and after grain drying operation and reporting grades to office so that accurate service charges may be calculated.
- Sample and place an inspection grade on all incoming and outgoing grain shipments as a basis for accurate pricing, report grades to office so that accurate service charges can be calculated. Report quality by grade and quantity of grain going into storage to the office.
- Observe OSHA, state, and federal safety regulations; maintain equipment and facilities regularly; and follow housekeeping standards keeping facilities neat and clean. Conduct monthly safety training classes with your staff.
- Maintain all grain handling equipment in the highest possible operating condition. This includes all rolling stock as well as stationary equipment. Will work with area manager to schedule and budget all major repairs and upgrades to the facility.
- Make agronomic recommendations to customers using best practices decisions for the grower and to ensure effective delivery of agronomy services to customers.
- Grow your customer base by enhancing the profitability of your customers and ensuring no product problems result from services provided in your territory.
- Maintain NH3 equipment in good condition and supply to customers upon request.
- Supervise all full and part time employees. Train all employees under your supervision in the operation of elevator and the procedures for handling NH3 and any other chemicals and equipment at the site. Advise the area manager on discipline and performance issues and performance appraisals for employees under your supervision.
- Maintain a positive attitude that promotes team work within the cooperative and a favorable image of the cooperative.
- Greet customers promptly and courteously with a friendly smile and a hello, thank them for their business, promptly and courteously answer the phone, assist customers with loading and unloading, work with customers to resolve problems and report complaints to area manager.
- Attend product, merchandising, and cooperative meetings and work to improve personal skills and knowledge. Desire to learn better and more efficient techniques to improve your performance and company profitability.
- Bill accurately and clearly communicate details of delivery.
- Enforce the cooperative credit policy by making credit terms known to customers, not charging to customers on COD, not extending credit to customers without approval of credit manager, and not authorizing customers to exceed their credit limit.
- Maintain inventory. Transfer inventory in and out based on the situation.
Job involves work in dusty, windy, hot, humid, cold, or wet conditions; work around moving mechanical parts; high precarious situations; tight hard to access spaces; fumes or airborne particles; and moderate short term noise exposure. The job requires much stooping, standing, and climbing on ladders. Extensive scooping with a shovel and sweeping with a broom may also be required.
This job description does not list all the duties of the job. You may be asked to perform other duties. Management has the right to revise this job description at any time. The job description is not a contract for employment, and either you or the employer may terminate employment at any time, for any reason.