Directs all operations, maintenance, and cleanliness of elevator; control of grain quality; and sales of petroleum, seed, and feed. Supervises all full and part time elevator employees. Will assist the agronomy department with fertilizer orders, when necessary. This employee will perform their responsibilities in a manner that will optimize the cooperative’s efficiency, help achieve the cooperative’s mission and goals, and result in outstanding customer service. This employee will maintain a positive attitude that promotes team work within the entire cooperative and a favorable image of the cooperative.
- Proven management skills.
- Current operational knowledge of all machinery in elevator. Ability to make minor repairs and conduct scheduled maintenance on all equipment.
- Good working knowledge of the properties of corn, wheat, beans, milo, and sunflowers.
- Good working knowledge of petroleum, feed, and seed products.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Computer and data entry skills.
- Ability to react to change productively and handle other essential tasks as assigned.
- Frequently lift or move 50 pounds and occasionally lift or move 100 pounds.
- Be able to obtain and retain a class 7B grain fumigation license.
- Strive to exceed customer expectations at each transaction.
- Ability to read , analyze, interpret, and apply common scientific, technical, and legal journals.
- Ability to respond cordially to inquiries or complaints of customers, co-workers, or regulatory agencies.
- Ability to write and log information, write reports, and verbally communicate information to location manager.
Personal Protective equipment
Eye protection is required in restricted areas. Appropriate personal protective equipment (i.e. goggles, gloves, long sleeve shirt, and/or face mask) required when handling chemicals.
Required Education and/or Experience
A high school degree or GED; four years of experience in grain business.
- Receive and ship grain in the most efficient manner possible using available staff.
- Maintain the grain in the elevator to the highest standard of quality possible. Fumigate grain if necessary following company safety guidelines
- Blend all grains as necessary when shipping out to achieve maximum grade and price for the cooperative and our customers.
- Provide grain drying services by grading and testing grain before and after grain drying operation and reporting grades to office so that accurate service charges may be calculated.
- Sample and place an inspection grade on all incoming and outgoing grain shipments as a basis for accurate pricing, report grades to office so that accurate service charges can be calculated. Report quality by grade and quantity of grain going into storage to the office.
- Observe OSHA, state, and federal safety regulations; maintain equipment and facilities regularly; and follow housekeeping standards keeping facilities neat and clean. Conduct monthly safety training classes with your staff.
- Maintain all grain handling equipment in the highest possible operating condition. This includes all rolling stock as well as stationary equipment. Will work with location manager to schedule and budget all major repairs and upgrades to the facility.
- Supervise all full and part time employees. Advise the location manager on discipline and performance issues and performance appraisals for employees under this position’s supervision.
- Manage sales of seed, feed, and petroleum products.
- Maintain a positive attitude that promotes team work within the cooperative and a favorable image of the cooperative.
- Greet customers promptly and courteously with a friendly smile and a hello, thank them for their business, promptly and courteously answer the phone, assist customers with loading and unloading, work with customers to resolve problems and report complaints to your manager.
- Attend product, merchandising, and cooperative meetings and work to improve personal skills and knowledge. Desire to learn better and more efficient techniques to improve their performance and company profitability.
- Bill accurately and clearly communicating details of delivery.
- Enforce the cooperative credit policy by making credit terms known to customers, not charging to customers on COD, not extending credit to customers without approval of credit manager, and not authorizing customers to exceed their credit limit.
Job involves work in dusty, windy, hot, humid, cold, or wet conditions; work around moving mechanical parts; high precarious situations; tight hard to access spaces; fumes or airborne particles; and moderate short term noise exposure. The job requires much stooping, standing, and climbing on ladders. Extensive scooping with a shovel and sweeping with a broom are also required.
This job description does not list all the duties of the job. You may be asked to perform other duties. Management has the right to revise this job description at any time. The job description is not a contract for employment, and either you or the employer may terminate employment at any time, for any reason.